Our youth deserve specialty neurology evaluations, treatment and school support. Texas schools have protocols that should offer support after concussion.
This article underlines:
- 60% of boys reached recovery after post-injury week 8 and girls after week 12!
- Males and females have different illness experiences.
- Premorbid migraine & emotional distress can add to the disability.
Let's be cautious allowing kids to return to their usual high levels of activity before they are ready.
We support children in the Houston area as they recover.
Characteristics of Pediatric Mild Traumatic Brain Injury and Recovery in a Concussion Clinic Population
- More than 70% of youths in this study (had) symptoms lasting longer than 1 month and 40% of youths still symptomatic at 3 months.
- Significantly more adolescents reported preexisting migraines compared with pre-adolescents (82 patients [20.9%] vs 15 patients [10.9%]; P = .01).
- Girls and women recovered more slowly than boys and men (persistent symptoms after injury:
- Week 4, 217 patients [81.6%] vs 156 patients [71.2%];
- Week 8, 146 patients [58.9%] vs 89 patients [44.3%];
- Week 12, 103 patients [42.6%] vs 58 patients [30.2%]; P = .01).
- Patients with history of migraine or anxiety or depression recovered more slowly than those without, regardless of sex.
MRI Concussion Brain Injury Texas